Care and Cleaning
Edge deterioration (black edge) on a mirror has always been an unsightly problem. In recent years this has been reduced due to improvements in mirror coatings. Most occurrences are a result of the use of improper cleaning products. However, a mirror – because it is a combination of many delicate materials and processes – will never be indestructible. Therefore proper cleaning and maintenance practices go a long way in reducing potential failures or damage.
The care and cleaning of mirrors is simple and inexpensive. With proper care the life of your mirror may be extended. Charlottesville Glass and Mirror recommends the following:
- The simplest cleaner for a mirror is clean, warm water used with a soft, lint-free cloth. Commercial cleaners that do not contain ammonia or vinegar may also be used. Should you use a commercial cleaner we recommend Hi Sheen. An excellent industrial strength product that produces a streak-free shine.
- New mirrors may have a slight oily film on the surface from the manufacturer. This may be difficult to remove with commercial cleaners. Soapy water is the most effective way of removing this oily finish.
- Never use solvents, acid, or alkali cleaners for mirror as these can attack the front surface, edges and backing of the mirror.
- No abrasive cleaners should ever be used on any mirror surface.
- Care should always be taken to avoid getting the edges and backing of the mirror wet. Should they get wet, they should be dried off immediately.
- Never spray any cleaner directly to the surface of the mirror. Instead apply the cleaner to a soft or paper towel and then wipe the mirror. This will prevent “puddling” at the mirror edge where the cleaner could attack the backing. Hi Sheen will also help reduce this because it is a foam rather than a liquid. Should the cleaner inadvertently be sprayed directly on the mirror, rather than the cloth, the foam will not puddle or wrap around the as quickly as a liquid cleaner.
If you purchase a mirror at Charlottesville Glass and Mirror, ask us to seal the edges. This will extend the life of the mirror by preventing edge deterioration.